So it's that time of the year again -- the holidays -- and along with all the fun and festivities, come some real hazards for your pets. So pet owner's beware! Here are a few things you need to watch out for this season to make sure both you and your pets have a happy and healthy holiday.
#1 - Chocolate
While all chocolate should be avoided, "Baker's Chocolate" is the most toxic to dogs. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to pets. The toxic ingredients are Theobromine and caffeine.
#2 --The Christmas Tree
Make sure the tree is securely anchored so your curious pets don't cause it to fall, possibly injuring them or someone else in the family. Also, the preservatives often put in the tree water to prolong its life can cause severe gastrointestinal problems should your dog or cats choose that as their water bowl.
#3 - Seasonal Plants
While Poinsettias typically take the rap for being poisonous, there are other toxic holiday plants that can actually be more problematic: Christmas cactus, mistletoe, cedar, holly, balsam and pine.
#4 - Table Scraps
Feeding Fido from the table may make him happy, but it may also make his belly upset. Rich, fatty foods can result in life-threatening pancreatitis. Anything salty, spicy or greasy is a no-no for our furry friends. And don't forget that chicken and turkey bones can splinter in the the stomach so keep those out of reach as well.
#5 - Ornaments
Tinsel can be tantalizing for curious cats so be careful they don't serve it up as a snack. Small, low-hanging tree decorations can be ingested by both dogs and cats and cause dangerous intestinal blockage.
There's nothing more important than the safety of your pets, so make sure your friends and family are all aware of these holiday hazards. For more holiday hazards click here.
Here's to a safe and happy holiday season to all!