Well, the votes are in and it looks like the DOGS (yes, DOG is GOD spelled backwards) have taken it by a landslide.
As a prelude to Meet the Breeds, the world's largest showcase of cats and dogs, the American Kennel Club (AKC) and Cat Fanciers' Assocation (CFA) joined forces to put an end to a long-standing squabble between pet owners. Who is the most "loved" pet of all -- dogs or cats?
They say the proof is in the numbers and if this is indeed true, the dogs have it -- hands down! With more than 9,000 pet owners casting their ballots -- despite the fact there are more cat owners than dog owners, 13MM to be exact -- dogs fetched 65% of the votes, leaving cats with a less impressive 35%.
What cities love their dogs the most? Chicago, Seattle and Detroit topped the list, each capturing 69% of the votes. Cat lovers dominated in Baltimore with 45% of the votes, and Philadelphia and Houston not far behind with 41%.
While I love all animals, clearly (as the picture above will indicate) I LOVE my dog. And as the survey found, both cat and dog owners have some very good reasons why they appreciate their species of choice. My favorite from dog lovers:
- "Cats have to have do-over lives because they didn't figure out how to have fun the first time around", Marilyn Finley
- "Dogs walk around with a smile as man's best friend and are always there for us", Kelly Smith
I couldn't have said it better!
Meet the Breeds is being held October 17th and 18th at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in New York City. Event hours are from 10am to 5pm both days and tickets are $10 for adults and $6 for children. Learn more at www.meetthebreeds.com