We all know Halloween is tons of fun for the kids -- and some candy crazy grown ups -- but it can also prove to be uncomfortable and sometimes even dangerous for our pets. So this year, pay a little extra attention to your furry little friends during the festivities. A couple of things you should keep in mind:
Candy May Not Be So Dandy. While you may try to limit the amount of candy the kids eat, you definitely want to make sure your pet pooch stays away from the booty. Chocolate, nuts, grapes and raisins can be toxic to pets. And the pretty wrappers they come in can also pose a threat causing choking or worse if swallowed. So keep the candy out of reach of your curious George and be prepared to call the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 if you fear your pet has ingested something potentially harmful.
Behind Closed Doors. If your pet is anything like my dog Max, this is not necessarily where they wants to be. However, while all the excitement is great for the kids, sometimes the noise and increased activity can create significant stress for your pet.
The Great Escape. With the constant opening and closing of the front door, you need to be extra cautious that your pet -- dog or cat -- doesn't become an escape artist. Just in case, make sure their i.d. tags are current and that they've been micro-chipped (and registered) so they can be returned to you safe and sound.
You'd Be Embarrassed Too. How would you feel if your pet dressed you up, took pictures and shared them with all their pet friends? Well, if you must . . . please make sure their costumes don't restrict their movement, breathing or sight and that there are no small parts or accessories that can cause discomfort or be swallowed.
Have a Happy Halloween! --Have fun, be safe and rake in the kiddy candy booty.